Oh my, this year is flying by so fast! Is it really almost September? Is it really almost fall and everything holiday extravaganza? Yesterday I celebrated my birthday and it seems the years are going by faster and faster every year.
Birthdays are fun, right? Sometimes they really make us stop in our tracks and ask ourselves what truly matter in this life. In Psalm 90:12 it says for God to teach us the brevity of life so that we may grow in wisdom. Isn’t that what happens on our birthday? It seems like everyone is wanting to celebrate me and my life on my birthday; however, I am just over off in a corner pondering life and it’s meaning because it all seems to be passing me by at the speed of light.
But one thing I have learned through life is that you can’t please God without faith; often when we live our life in fear we aren’t truly living at all. Faith is something I need to choose everyday and I need to often overcome some embedded fears and my anxiety on a regular basis. I often feel the Holy Spirit speaking to my heart about the lies that I am holding onto in this life, and whether or not I am living a fearful life. One thought that always puts my thinking back on the right track is the reality that a new day starts and ends regardless of my fears or worries. I don’t want to waste my life that I get to live worrying and always being fearful; so I often have to ask myself how am I going to live my life TODAY?
Another choice I need to make everyday, besides living in faith, is to choose JOY. I am not saying this to belittle the pain that exists in this world. I’ve been through some painful moments in my life, as I am sure most people have, and sometimes being joyful feels like a long lost wish and often an impossible dream to reach on a day-to-day basis. But I have found once I surrender my fear, I am able to find JOY and live a joyful life!
Yesterday there was such a shift in my heart towards JOY, but it wasn’t until I was able to sift through some thoughts and feelings of fear and failure that were lingering in my heart an mind throughout the day. But once I remembered that life is short, I gained the wisdom to live everyday to the fullest. It was an overcoming moment for me, and maybe even a maturing moment, too.
In that process I began to choose JOY and see the small (and big) things in my life that were bringing me JOY, too! So, this week I am participating in a fun monthly link up called Five Things Friday! In this link up we are to list 5 things that are bringing us JOY in the month of August. At the end of this post you can check out a link to the link up to find other bloggers who are participating in this link up, too!
Five Things that are Bringing Me JOY this Month:
- My birthday: August is my birthday month and even though I am getting older I am realizing what’s important in life. I am also learning how to embrace what God has already given me and learning how to steward that well. Looking at where I am at now in life is giving me a vision for the future.
- Date Nights: Seriously, I am so thankful for the man I get to do life with. We have very different perspectives on life, but my time with him helps me to have courage for another day.
- Worship Music: A lot of new worship music came out this summer and it is definitely helping me to stay focused during some overwhelming moments in my life. A few of my new favorites are: Wonder – Hillsong UNITED, Starlight (Live) – Bethel Music, Every Mile Mattered – Nichole Nordeman, and On My Side – Kim Walker-Smith.
- A New Semester of College: Even though I took summer classes and my break was only three weeks long, it brings me so much JOY to start a new semester of college. Every semester brings a new set of classes that I get SO excited about! It is always on a topic that I want to lear, and every time I go to school I realize how difficult this career choice is but I am so motivated to continue along this path. The Holy Spirit has taught me so much through this process of going to school, and I am so thankful for al the blessings that it has brought to our family.
- I Finished Reading a Book that I Purchased February: It takes me a long time to finish reading a book. I was so excited to finish reading The Esther Anointing: Becoming a Woman of Prayer, Courage, and Influence by Michelle McCalin-Walters and it was such an inspiring and wonderful read! It brought me joy not just because I actually finished the book, but also because it spoke to my heart in such an encouraging way. It is a book I highly recommend and I am sure I will read again!
So those are the five things that are bringing me JOY this month. Be sure to visit the Five things Friday link up to read more posts like this! Also check out the end of this post for a fun GIVEAWAY of one of the items I mentioned that is bringing me JOY this month!
Below is a giveaway for your choice of either a copy (paperback or eBook) of The Esther Anointing: Becoming a Woman of Prayer, Courage, and Influence by Michelle McClain-Walters -OR- an iTunes copy of On My Side – Kim Walker-Smith! Just follow the instructions in the rafflecopter widget below:
Our faith begins with what we know and believe about God. Our faith will carry us how far we are willing to let it take us. Faith is a choice and we need to begin by choosing to believe in Jesus and His power to move mountains, heal the sick, and save us from all our sins through His sacrifice on the cross.